Rediscovering domesticity in a modern world

Rediscovering domesticity in a modern world

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Clutter Challange - Day 3

I've survived two days of the clutter challenge, and I haven't burst into flames.  Hell hasn't frozen over yet, either (I've been checking the weather forecast, just to make sure).  While I'm still not brave enough to tackle my front closet - which may take a torch and a backhoe - I'm ready to start on a major eyesore in the kitchen: the top of the refrigerator.

Like so many things, I don't actually "see" things that are in front of me every day.  It's easy to see the coffee stains in someone else's kitchen sink, but I just don't notice the pile precariously perched on top of my nice stainless steel fridge.


That changes today.  Look out, expired spices and dusty baskets... I'm coming, I have Pledge, and I'm not afraid to use it!


Before:
Photobucket

After:

Photobucket

SUCCESS!
I'm still itchy from all the dust bunnies that I vanquished, but that's just the most vengeful of them getting their last revenge.  Yet again, I threw out quite a bit of outdated medication (an entire bag's worth).  I have no idea why I've had trouble getting rid of half used boxes of cold medicine, but it was almost cathartic to hear the rattle of bottles and crinkle of boxes as I tossed them away.  Just to be safe I threw it in with some used coffee grounds as per Walgreens instructions.  It gave me an excuse to drink more coffee.  Too bad one isn't supposed to throw out medication with limes - after all this cleaning I could use a good Cuba Libre.


I feel like a new me is being formed - and a new house that I'll be able to invite people in to see is emerging.  (But I'm still scared of my front closet)


And now tall people can be in my kitchen without getting dust in their noses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers